The family of a young soldier who died at notorious Deepcut barracks have been given the go-ahead to apply for a fresh inquest.
Private Geoff Gray, 17, from Hackney, east London, was found with two gunshot wounds to his head on September 17 2001.
A coroner recorded an open verdict following an inquest in March 2002.
His family have won the right to apply to the High Court for a new inquest after Attorney General Jeremy Wright QC said he was satisfied fresh evidence had come to light
He said: “Having considered the application, I have given consent to the family of Private Geoff Gray to apply to the High Court for a new inquest into his death.
“I am satisfied that there is new material evidence available that was not put before the inquest in 2001, and I believe that it is in the interests of justice for the application for a new inquest to be heard by the High Court.”
A new inquest can only be ordered by the High Court on an application made by the Attorney General or with his consent.
Last year a High Court judge gave the go-ahead for a fresh inquest into the death of Private Sean Benton, from Hastings, East Sussex, which is expected to take place at Surrey Coroner’s Court in Woking from January 24 next year.
The 20-year-old was found with five bullet wounds to his chest in June 1995 while undergoing training at the Surrey base.
He was the first of four young soldiers to die of gunshot wounds at the barracks between 1995 and 2002.
Private Cheryl James, 18, from Llangollen, North Wales, shot herself in November 1995, according to a second inquest into her death which concluded in June.
Following Pte Gray’s death in 2001, Private James Collinson, 17, from Perth, was found dead with a single gunshot wound through his chin on March 23 2002.