Thousands of elderly British Army veterans are facing a new ‘witch-hunt’ over the deaths of suspected IRA terrorists more than 40 years ago, The Mail on Sunday can reveal. In the largest ever trawl for eyewitnesses, ex-troops have been asked to provide legal statements about fatal shootings in Northern Ireland ahead of new inquests. Last night, furious former top brass said the move could lead to soldiers being questioned as murder suspects – and being forced to attend coroners’ hearings where their personal security might be jeopardised. Former head of the British Army, General the Lord Dannatt, said: ‘There should be no obligation on soldiers to co-operate because they have previously given evidence on the assurance of no further action being taken when this has proved a false promise. I think this is an extremely unwelcome, worrying move. I served in Belfast in 1971 and had 25 to 35-year-old soldiers in my platoon who would now be in their 70s and 80s. Asking them to recall shootings from back then is outrageous.